The Official College of Commercial Aviation Pilots (COPAC), the Spanish Airline Pilots Union (Sepla) and Global Training Aviation (GTA) have announced the Carlos Salas Scholarships for young pilots. This initiative aims to support future pilots in their entry into the profession and, at the same time, to honour the memory of Carlos Salas (1961-2021) and his commitment and work in favour of the pilot profession. Two grants of 12,500 euros each will be awarded to finance the aircraft type rating course of the winning pilots in order to help overcome the economic barrier posed by its high cost.
The eligibility requirements for the scholarship are as follows:
- To have obtained the CPL (A)- ATPL (A) "frozen" EASA Pilot Licence in the 36 months prior to the application date of the 2022 scholarships.
- Hold an EASA Class 1 medical certificate.
- Provide a letter of recommendation from your training institution.
- Have passed the university entrance exam (EVAU) or equivalent.
- Fulfil the pre-requisites for admission to a GTA type rating course before the start of the selection process for the scholarships (see Annex I of the rules and regulations).
- Have Spanish nationality or nationality of a country of the European Union.
The evaluation of the applications will be carried out by a study commission, which will assign the candidates a score based on objective criteria. Candidates will have to pass a personal interview and a simulator test, to which the 10 candidates with the highest scores will be admitted.